GM Off Topic
October 24, 2014, 11:50:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Chat Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can't connect to 127.0.0.1:895: Hotspot Shield Problem?  (Read 81074 times)
Takagi

Iie.

View Profile
« on: July 24, 2009, 10:20:43 AM »

So I'm in the UAE right now, and they've sorta kinda blocked all VoIP programs. GMail, MSN, Yahoo, Skype, etc. To get around this problem, I've installed Hotspot Shield, a program that connects to a VPN. This allows me to not only browse with a US IP, but also use other webapps with the same IP (that means I can use MSN voice chat with my laptop here using the IP from the US). However, an issue here is the problem that recently, whenever I would try the "connect" option, Firefox gives me the error: Firefox couldn't establish a connection with 127.0.0.1:895. Internet Explorer gives the same equivalent message.

I first thought it was a connection issue, but then I tried it on my dad's laptop, and the Hotspot shield worked fine. Any ideas on how to fix this? I can browse other websites fine, but this never works.

If there's any more info needed, please ask, I'd really want to get this application I'm using (MagicJack?) to work.

"I'm against all this sex on television, I mean, I keep on falling off!"
-Graham Chapman
Bami

imageshack is ded?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 10:52:32 AM »

Unless you have a webserver running on port 895, you won't be able to point firefox or internet explorer to that location.

I don't know the exact workings of hotspot shield, but I think it just uses a VPN to through their server as a proxy connection, so you might want to try out setting your proxy settings in firefox to point to 127.0.0.1:895 (probably not a SOCKS proxy), and then try to find your outside IP. If it's different from your regular IP then it's probably working.

Scratch that, it's probably your firewall blocking incoming connections on port 895, try making an exception rule for all traffic coming from localhost/127.0.0.1

Another possibility is that they firewalled all outgoing VPN connections, and in that case, you're screwed.

Anyways, you really don't want to be proxying your VoIP through something like hotspot shield, it really adds a lot of latency.
Takagi

Iie.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 02:17:15 PM »

Well I fixed the problem-- I just installed the newest version of the application. Weird, considering I tried a reinstall of the older version with no success.

"I'm against all this sex on television, I mean, I keep on falling off!"
-Graham Chapman
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: